Please read the General Guidelines for Submission and Participation carefully prior to completing the online entry form.
10 April 2019
Benaki Museum / Pireos138
6 June – 28 July 2019
Athens Photo Festival aims to feature a wide selection of over 100 projects. The open call has no thematic restrictions and is open to photographers, artists, collectives, curators, galleries and organisations from around the world. In this way, we strive to create a dialogue between different thematic ideas, approaches and practices from a traditional photography background to the most contemporary projects. Exploring diverse cultural, artistic, social and political perspectives, the Festival welcomes a wide variety of works from all the image-based genres, ranging from fine art and conceptual to documentary and photojournalism, installations, interactive content and multimedia works.
The selected projects will be presented to the public as part of the Main Program of the Athens Photo Festival 2019 at the Benaki Museum, one of the most prestigious museums in Greece.
The Main Program of the Athens Photo Festival 2019 will be held from 6 June to 28 July, 2019.
1.4 Diversity and Inclusion
The Festival is committed to embracing and enhancing equity, diversity, inclusion, and access to arts and culture, and encourages applications from communities across racial, ethnic, geographic, socio-economic, cultural, age, gender, and sexual orientation spectrums.
1.5 Entry Deadline
In order to be eligible for selection, proposals must be submitted no later than 10 April, 2019.
• Submission to the 2019 Festival for exhibition programming consideration.
• Finalists will be exhibited during the Athens Photo Festival 2019.
• Contribution to the production cost of the works included in the Main Program.
• Accommodation for the international artists for two nights.
• 20 finalists will have the opportunity to participate for free to the International Portfolio Reviews in Athens.
• 5 finalists under the age of 35, will have the opportunity to participate for free to the APhF Talent Lab, a professional development program for emerging artists.
• 100 runners-up will have the opportunity for a 6-month presence on APhF:Connections, a by-invitation-only platform, to showcase their work as well as introduce them to 100+ influential industry professionals from all around the world, who are always willing to discover ‘new’ photography from emerging or established artists. This is a non-official section, independent of the Festival’s curatorial team.
3. ENTRY FEE
For each project submitted to the selection of the Athens Photo Festival, a registration fee is requested to cover administrative and production costs. The entry fee is 25 € for the first submission, and 15 € for each additional entry by the same applicant. Up to 20 images per submission.
After completing the final step of our online form you will be redirected to PayPal site where you can pay the entry fee. The alternative is to pay by bank transfer or international money order. Please read the payment instructions.
Proposals will only be considered for selection after the processing fee is received.
4. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND MATERIAL
4.1 How to Enter
You are welcome to submit through our online entry form.
4.2 Multiple Entries
You may submit up to three projects. For each submission you will have to fill out a separate entry form and pay a separate fee.
4.3 Entry Material
All entries must include the following:
• An official APhF:19 Entry Form properly completed.
• Images: A maximum of 20 images per entry.
• Multimedia: Your multimedia web links. Upload your file to Vimeo or any other video sharing site and include the link in the entry form.
Entries must be in digital format with the following technical specifications:
SUBMITTING IMAGE FILES
• File format: JPG
• Resolution: Images should be saved at 72dpi
• Size: Images must be sized to 1500 pixels on their longest dimension.
• Image file names: The files must be titled with the photographer’s last name and a sequential image number. For example: yourlastname_01.jpg, 02.jpg etc. In case of multiple submissions, photographer’s last name must be followed with a capital letter A, B etc and then the sequential image number. For example: yourlastname_A01.jpg, yourlastname_A02.jpg etc for the first series, yourlastname_B01.jpg, yourlastname_B02.jpg etc for the second series.
4.5 Installation Notes & Images
Within your entry form you are welcome to include practical notes such as technical requirements, production specifications and installation methods.
4.6 Receipt Confirmation
Upon receipt, an email confirmation will be sent to the person designated as submitter on the entry form. If you have not received confirmation of your entry within two days of submitting a proposal, you should contact us to check the status of your entry.
5. SELECTED PROJECTS
All submissions will be reviewed and evaluated by the curatorial team of the Festival.
5.2 Status Notification
All artists will be notified of their submission status by the end of April, 2019.
The selected projects will be presented in the official Festival catalogue. A printed edition of the catalogue will be mailed to key industry professionals around the world, intended to be used as reference material.
Each artist will receive a dedicated page on the Festival’s website and be part of the Festival’s international marketing and PR campaigns in print and online media, enhancing awareness of the selected works in the photography community. By participating in the Athens Photo Festival, each participant hereby grants the right to use photos with the names of the authors, and information relating to the work for promotional purposes in connection with the Festival.
5.5 Collateral Events
The Main Program will be accompanied by parallel events, including artists talk series and VIP tours. Some of the selected artists will be invited to join us during the opening weekend, giving a talk about their work.
Entry and participation implies acceptance of these rules and regulations.