Please read the Guidelines & Rules before submitting. The general guidelines for submission and participation provide binding regulations for all matters and procedures from project submission to the participation of an artist in the festival.
The Athens Photo Festival aims to offer a quality selection of projects from around the world. Festival’s Main Programme is devoted to offering a platform and supporting photography, showcasing ‘new’ photography from emerging and established artists. The Festival is looking for a wide variety of works, ranging from fine art to documentary and photojournalism, photo-based installations and multimedia works.
The selected projects will be presented to the public as part of the Main Programme of the Athens Photo Festival 2018 at the Benaki Museum, one of the most prestigious museums in Greece. The satellite exhibition venues of the Festival are independent of the curatorial programme. They are in charge of their own respective selections.
The Main Programme of the Athens Photo Festival 2018 will be held from 6 June to 29 July, 2018.
Submission to the Athens Photo Festival is open to artists, curators, collectives, archives, galleries and organisations from around the world. There is no age restriction for artists, but submitters must be at least 18 years of age.
1.5 Entry Deadline
Entry Deadline Proposals must be submitted no later than 31 March, 2018.
2. ENTRY FEE
Entry fee is € 20 per submission.
After completing the final step of our online form you will be redirected to PayPal site where you can pay the entry fee. The alternative is to pay by bank transfer or international money order.
Please read the payment instructions.
• Submission to the 2018 Festival for exhibition programming consideration.
• Contribution to the production cost of the works included in the Main Programme.
• Accommodation for the international guests for two nights.
• 20 finalists will have the opportunity to participate for free to the International Portfolio Reviews in Athens.
• 100 finalists will have the opportunity for a 6-month presence on APhF: Connections, a dedicated by-invitation-only platform to showcase their work as well as introduce them to 100+ influential industry professionals from all around the world, who are always willing to discover ‘new’ photography from emerging or established artists. This is a non-official section, independent of the Festival’s curatorial team.
• 5 finalists under the age of 35, will have the opportunity to participate for free to the APhF Talent Lab, a four-day platform for emerging image makers.
4. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND MATERIAL
4.1 How to Enter
There are two ways in which you as an artist, curator or organisation may submit:
• Apply online through the online entry form and submit all required entry materials (see below).
• Apply by post or courier (at the sender’s expense). Please download the form (here) and sent it along with all required entry materials (see below). Please consider that the Athens Photo Festival will not be able to send back any received material. Submissions by post must be mailed to the following address:
Hellenic Centre for Photography
Stratigou Kontouli 3
117 42 Athens, Greece
4.2 Entry Material
All entries must include the following:
• An official APhF:18 Entry Form properly completed.
• Images: A maximum of 20 images per entry, including considered works, and, if applicable, installation shots from previous exhibitions.
• Multimedia: Your multimedia web links. Upload your file to Vimeo or any other video sharing site and include the link in the entry form.
Entry materials will be destroyed by the Festival once the selection process has been completed.
Entries must be in digital format with the following technical specifications:
SUBMITTING IMAGE FILES
• File format: JPG
• Resolution: Images should be saved at 72dpi
• Size: Images must be sized to 1500 pixels on their longest dimension.
• Image file names: The files must be titled with the photographer’s last name and a sequential image number. For example: yourlastname_01.jpg, 02.jpg etc. Create a single compressed folder named with your lastname_firstname that contains all the images. You can only upload following files format: zip, rar, tar, sit, sitx. Each submitted folder size can be no more than 30MB. Use ‘Choose file’ and click ‘Submit’ to submit your compressed folder. The uploading process may take a few minutes.
Multimedia entries must be submitted on a DVD/CD or as a link to a file embedded in Vimeo or any other video sharing site.
4.4 Multiple Entries
You may submit more than one proposal. For each submission you will have to fill out a separate entry form and pay a separate fee. For submissions by post, each submission must be delivered on separate DVD/CD, although they may be mailed together in one envelope.
4.5 Receipt Confirmation
Upon receipt, an email confirmation will be sent to the person designated as submitter on the entry form.
5. SELECTED PROJECTS
All submissions will be reviewed and evaluated by the curatorial team of the Festival.
5.2 Curatorial Approach
Even though the theme of the Festival is set by the curatorial team, the thematic framework is developed further in relation to the works submitted for this call. In this way we strive to create a dialogue between the thematic ideas and current artistic practice. The final programme of the Festival will be comprised of a combination of projects selected through the call and invited artists on a wide range of topics.
5.3 Status Notification
All artists will be notified of their submission status by the end of March, 2018.
The selected projects will be presented in the official Festival catalogue. A printed edition of the catalogue will be mailed to key industry professionals around the world, intended to be used as reference material. All applicants will receive a free e-catalogue.
The selected projects will be presented on the Festival’s website and be part of the Festival’s promotional campaign in print and online media, enhancing awareness of the selected works in the photography community. By participating in the Athens Photo Festival, each participant hereby grants the right to use photos with the names of the authors, and information relating to the work for promotional purposes in connection with the Festival.
5.6 Collateral Events
The Main Programme will be accompanied by parallel events, including artists talk series and VIP tours. Some of the selected artists will be invited to join us during the opening weekend, giving a talk about their work.
Entry and participation implies acceptance of these rules.