Open Call for Artists + Photographers
Submit Your Work
Submission Category: Exhibition Program
Entry Deadline: 15 March 2022
8 June – 24 July 2022
01. Get Exhibited
The selected projects will be exhibited at the Benaki Museum in June and July 2022, as part of the main program.
02. Get Published
The selected projects will be presented on the Festival’s catalogue as well as featured online.
03. Get Connected
The selected artists will get their work in front of an international network of professionals, and cultural producers.
04. Get Things Done
We handle all the curation, installation and maintenance needed to bring this large scale exhibition to life.
Athens Photo Festival 2022 is accepting submissions from emerging and established artists and photographers, from all over the world for its Exhibition Program. If you are considering submitting to the Festival, please read the General Guidelines for Submission and Participation.
Athens Photo Festival will feature the work of over 100 artists from all over the world. Exploring a variety of cultural, artistic, social, and political perspectives, the Festival invites proposals from the entire spectrum of the photographic medium, ranging from fine art, conceptual, documentary photography, and photojournalism to other media, including video, performance, and installation. In this way, we seek to create a dialogue between multiple expressive means, thematic areas, and approaches from a traditional photography background to the most contemporary practices.
The selected works will be on view at the Benaki Museum / Pireos 138, one of the most prestigious museums in Greece. The main program will occupy all the exhibition spaces of the Museum, covering over 3,000 square meters.
Athens Photo Festival will take place from 8 June to 31 July 2022.
You can submit your proposal until 15 March 2022, at midnight (GMT+2).
How to Submit
Apply through the online entry form and submit all required entry materials.
What does my entry include?
• Submission review by the Athens Photo Festival for exhibition programming consideration.
• Finalists will be exhibited at the Benaki Museum / Pireos 138 during the Athens Photo Festival 2022.
• Production cost of the works included in the exhibition.
• A free entry ticket to the Athens Photo Festival 2022 for all submitting artists.
• 50 additional artists will be invited to present their work in a special screening event.
• 20 finalists will have the opportunity to participate for free to the International Portfolio Reviews.
• 5 finalists under the age of 35, will have the opportunity to participate for free in the APhF:TalentLab, a professional development program for emerging artists.
• 50 runners-up will have the opportunity for a 6-month presence on APhF:TalentPool, a by-invitation-only platform, to showcase their work as well as introduce them to 100+ influential industry professionals from all around the world, who are always willing to discover ‘new’ photography from emerging or established artists.
WHY SHOULD YOU SUBMIT TO THE ATHENS PHOTO FESTIVAL 2022?
More than 35 years after its founding, Athens Photo Festival, maintained and enhanced its standings as the leading international festival of photography in Southeastern Europe, and reinforced its commitment to improve Athens reputation for being a premier photo destination for interstate and international visitors.
The mission of the Athens Photo Festival is to provide a platform for artists and photographers to make new connections and reach the widest possible audience for their work. Last year’s international open call attracted submissions from all over the world, with more than 90% of the submissions coming from outside of Greece. The final selection included 102 artists from 35 countries.
Athens Photo Festival is one of the most visited photography events in Europe. The evolution of the audience over the past editions proved a success, attracting over 60.000 visitors. The main program will take place from 8 June to 31 July 2022, at the Benaki Museum, one of the oldest and most prestigious museums in Greece. Athens as an emblematic place of the fast-changing global situation, provides a significant artistic and intellectual context where questions about the complexities of today’s world can be raised and discussed.
Over the past few years, the Festival has expanded steadily, with more international guests from more different countries attending each year. Among the guests are directors, artists, curators, and art professionals from all over the world.