Open Call for Artists and Photographers
Submission Category: Exhibition Program
Benaki Museum / Pireos 138
8 June – 24 July 2022
Athens Photo Festival will feature the work of over 100 artists from all over the world. The open call welcomes submissions from photographers, artists, curators, collectives, and institutions. Exploring a variety of cultural, artistic, social, and political perspectives, the Festival invites proposals from the entire spectrum of the photographic medium, ranging from fine arts, conceptual, documentary photography, and photojournalism to other media, including video, performance, and installation. In this way, we seek to create a dialogue between multiple expressive means, thematic areas, and approaches from a traditional photography background to the most contemporary practices.
The selected works will be on view at the Benaki Museum / Pireos 138, one of the most prestigious museums in Greece. The main program will occupy all the exhibition spaces of the Museum, covering over 3,000 square meters.
The next edition of the Athens Photo Festival will take place from 8 June to 24 July 2022.
1.4 Forms of Presentation
The exhibitions will encompass all the different forms that the photographic image can take, combining both traditional and digital techniques such as print, projection, photobook, texts, objects, installation, etc.
1.5 Diversity and Inclusion
The Festival is committed to embracing and enhancing equity, diversity, inclusion, and access to arts and culture. We welcome applications from all the sectors of the community across racial, ethnic, geographic, socio-economic, cultural, age, gender, and sexual orientation spectrums.
1.6 Submission Deadline Extended
You can submit your proposal until 25 March 2022.
• Submission review by the Athens Photo Festival for exhibition programming consideration.
• Finalists will be exhibited at the Benaki Museum / Pireos 138 during the Athens Photo Festival 2022.
• Production cost of the works included in the exhibition.
• Accommodation for the international artists for two nights.
• A free entry ticket to the Athens Photo Festival 2022 for all submitting artists.
• 50 additional artists will be invited to present their work at a special screening event.
• 20 finalists will have the opportunity to participate for free in the International Portfolio Reviews.
• 5 finalists under the age of 35, will have the opportunity to participate for free in the APhF:TalentLab, a professional development program for emerging artists.
• Featured on the Festival website
• A selection of projects will be included in the Festival’s newsletters.
• The selected projects will be posted on Festivals’s official Instagram feed.
• 50 additional artists from the shortlist will have the opportunity for a 6-month presence on APhF:TalentPool, a by-invitation-only platform, to showcase their work as well as introduce them to 100+ influential industry professionals from all around the world, who are always willing to discover ‘new’ photography.
3. ENTRY FEE
For each project submitted to the selection of the Athens Photo Festival, a registration fee is requested to cover production costs for the benefit of all participants. The application fee is 25 € for the first project, and 15 € for each additional project by the same applicant. Up to 20 images per project.
Entry fees can be paid by Credit or debit card, PayPal, bank transfer, or international money order. Please read the payment instructions.
Proposals will only be considered for selection after the processing fee is received.
4. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND MATERIAL
4.1 How to Enter
You are welcome to submit through our online entry form.
4.2 Multiple Entries
You may submit up to three projects. For each submission, you will have to fill out a separate entry form and pay a separate fee.
4.3 Entry Material
All entries must include the following:
• An official APhF:22 Entry Form properly completed.
• Images: A maximum of 20 images per project.
Entries must be in a digital format with the following technical specifications:
SUBMITTING IMAGE FILES
• File format: JPG
• Resolution: Images should be saved at 72dpi
• Size: Images must be sized to 1500 pixels on their longest dimension.
• Image file names: The files must be titled with the photographer’s last name and a sequential image number. For example: yourlastname_01.jpg, 02.jpg etc. In case of multiple submissions, the photographer’s last name must be followed with a capital letter A, B etc, and then the sequential image number. For example: yourlastname_A01.jpg, yourlastname_A02.jpg etc for the first series, yourlastname_B01.jpg, yourlastname_B02.jpg etc for the second series.
4.5 Installation Notes & Images
Within your entry form you are welcome to include practical notes about how you like to present your work, such as technical requirements, production specifications, and installation methods.
4.6 Receipt Confirmation
Upon receipt, an email confirmation will be sent to the person designated as the submitter on the entry form. If you have not received confirmation of your entry within two days of submitting a proposal, you should contact us to check the status of your entry.
5. SELECTED PROJECTS
All submissions will be reviewed and evaluated by the curatorial team of the Festival. We accept projects from all the image-based genres, whether considered completed or still in progress.
5.2 Status Notification
All artists will be notified of their submission status by Friday 8 April 2022. The invitation of a work to participate must remain absolutely confidential until the program is announced by the Athens Photo Festival.
5.3 Curation and Installation
We handle all the curation, installation, and maintenance needed to bring this large-scale exhibition to life.
The selected projects will be presented in the official Festival catalog. A printed edition of the catalog will be mailed to key industry professionals around the world, intended to be used as reference material. All the material required for the catalog of the Athens Photo Festival must be sent in digital format (images, credits, biography, and an artist statement of the project) as soon as possible, but no later than 18 April 2022.
The selected works will be seen on all our channels. Each artist will receive a dedicated page on the Festival’s website and be part of the Festival’s international marketing and PR campaigns in print and online media, enhancing awareness of the selected works in the photography community. By participating in the Athens Photo Festival, each participant hereby grants the right to use photos with the names of the authors, and information relating to the work for promotional purposes in connection with the Festival. The selected artists must send in digital format the promotional material for distribution to the press no later than 1 May 2022.
5.6 Collateral Events
The Main Program will be accompanied by parallel events, including online artist talk series and guided tours.
6. GENERAL RULES
Participation in the Athens Photo Festival implies acceptance of the present regulations.